Student accommodation

Wellington has a variety of safe, high-quality accommodation options for international students

Choosing a place to live is an important decision, but in Wellington you can’t go wrong - there are a number of different housing options available for international students.

From university halls of residence, to modern inner-city apartments, shared housing, homestay accommodation, boarding houses and private board, there are many great options to choose from within close distance of your education provider.

Halls of residence

If you’re studying at one of Wellington’s universities you can apply for accommodation at a university-managed hall of residence, student village, self-catered apartment or flat. Learn about student accommodation at Victoria University, Massey University and Otago University.

Many tertiary students take up accommodation in halls of residence, where you live with other students in a friendly and supportive community.

Your education provider organises student hostel or hall of residence accommodation, something that needs to be arranged before you arrive in New Zealand.

Depending on the hall, there may be dining rooms for students, as well as shared spaces to relax and watch TV, or to play games like table tennis.

There are options to have a private room too, or you may share a room or small apartment with others. Facilities like showers and bathrooms are often shared.

Homestays/private boarding

Homestays or private boarding, where you live with a New Zealand family in their home, is a popular option.

All primary and secondary schools and many tertiary institutions provide homestay and/or private boarding options for their international students. There are often boarding houses or hostels available on-site too.

It’s a safe option - you will be placed with a carefully-selected New Zealand family who will provide you with a fully-furnished bedroom and at least two to three meals per day.

International students wanting to live in a supportive home environment enjoy homestays/private boarding. It’s also a great option if you want the chance to practice your English and learn more about the New Zealand way of life.

Renting a room or house

If you’re looking to break out on your own, or “go flatting” as New Zealanders call it, you can rent a house or apartment on your own, move into a shared house (called a flat) or join others in an existing flat with a group of friends (flatmates).

The best place to start your search for a house, room or flatmate is online, but remember to allow plenty of time to find somewhere to live as the rental market is competitive and houses can be hard to find.

You can find homes to rent and flatmates at Trade Me, easyRoomate, NZFlatmates, FlatFinder, Facebook Marketplace, Roomgo, Student Flats, Locanto, RealEstate, and Roomies.

You can also talk to your education provider’s student support staff for more information and advice on accommodation options.

Make sure you find out about the New Zealand system before you sign any agreements or pay money to a landlord or property agency.

You might like